The largest new film and media studios to be built in London for decades will be constructed and operated in Dagenham by Pacifica Ventures in partnership with Media Content Capital (MCC) it was announced on the 22nd March.
Darren Rodwell, the Leader of Barking and Dagenham Council announced that the USA based Pacifica Ventures, in partnership with MCC, will be the preferred builder and operator of the ambitious new film and media complex on the 22-acre site.
Cllr Rodwell said: “I take great pleasure in announcing Pacifica Ventures in partnership with MCC as our preferred partner. In the face of fierce competition, Pacifica Ventures - MCC emerged as the clear winner based on their track record and commitment to making the film and television studios a cultural and community asset for the borough, for London and for Britain’s film industry.
Jon Cruddas MP for Dagenham and Rainham commented: “this is a ground breaking deal that will put Dagenham back on the map. This has great potential for the whole area, and should attract more investors to boost our local economy back to the standards we enjoyed at the height of Dagenham Ford.”
In addition to 12 state-of-the-art sound stages – covering some 264,000 sq ft - the plans from Pacifica Ventures - MCC feature:
- workshops and warehouses for lighting and grip operations, and at least 95,000 sq ft of production office space
- an extensive post-production, visual effects and media technology complex
- specially rigged stages for job training programmes with local educational institutions
- multi-forma large-screen theatre auditorium
- a major event centre and large screen auditorium including VR and immersive 3D attractions with studio tours, and
- retail and dining outlets.
Mayor of London, Sadiq Khan, said: “London is a global capital for film – with more than 40 film crews on our streets every day. I’m delighted that Pacifica Ventures has been announced as the preferred bidder – their exceptional track record will further cement the capital’s position as a world-leading film-making city. This development will bring hundreds of new jobs to the area – from carpenters to camera crew - and will bring big Hollywood blockbusters to Barking and Dagenham.”