Recently the Havering and Barking & Dagenham Clinical Commissioning Groups (CCG) contacted Jon Cruddas about their launch of a public consultation in Barking and Dagenham, Havering and Redbridge on ‘making intermediate care better'. Intermediate care is the specialised care that is provided to people in their own homes to prevent them from needing to go or stay longer in hospitals. These services can also be provided in residential homes and community rehab units.

The public consultation outlines the intentions of the CCG which are to merge two successful intermediate care services which are as follows:

Community treatment team (CTT) – a team of doctors, nurses, physiotherapists, social workers and others who work together providing care for people have a health or social care crisis at their homes without needing to send them to hospital or have them returned from hospitals sooner. They are in service from 8am to 10pm, seven days a week.

Intensive rehabilitation service (IRS) – a team of physiotherapists, occupational therapists, healthcare assistants and others off intensive physio and other therapy in a patients own home with up to four visits a day depending on the patients needs. They are in service from 8am to 8pm, seven days a week.

These idea is to merge these two services into one unit. There is a 12 week consultation period running until October 1st 2014.

Jon Cruddas MP commented on the consultation: "I completely agree that more should be done to improve intermediate care, and welcome any improvements to the NHS. However, I don't think this consultation has been as successfully implemented as it could have been, with very few members of the public being aware of it. Any change to healthcare is bound to affect a lot of local people, and I would expect local residents to have a full opportunity to provide feedback.

"With the current state of our local NHS I think, if implemented correctly, these changes could be a positive move. With that in mind I would encourage local residents to go to the website and have their say on the changes by filling out the consultation survey."

If you wish to contribute to the public consultation you can do so online:

If you are a resident of Havering you can put forward a contribution here:

If you are a resident of Barking and Dagenham you can contribute here: